Today’s Gospel reading for Mass brings us the timeless tale of Martha and Mary. Looking at the headlines in the news and our ever increasing busy, busy, world where we fill our moments with things and activities it is easy for most of us to relate to Martha who is all about “doing.” Yet it is Mary, who takes time to set aside the cares of the world to quietly listen to, and spend time with, our Lord, who Jesus says has the better part.
As we go to Mass today it is important that we spend some in quiet thought and prayer thinking upon the readings. Spending time as it were with our Lord, putting aside our “doing” for a bit and instead learning how to be in the moment with Christ and reflecting on the gospel reading and it’s meaning in our own lives. To help jump start and/or supplement our time the following resources can help shed further light on the reading and its meaning in our lives.
God Bless – Peace
- Today’s Gospel Reading: Luke 10: 38-42
- Sermon 654 : Martha, Mary and the Attitude of Discipleship : 16th Sunday in Ordinary Time (audio podcast)
- Are You Martha or Mary at Mass?
- Entertaining God: The 16th Sunday of OT
- Beyond Words: 07/21/2013 (LifeTeen Video)
- The Priority of Personal Prayer – A Meditation on the Gospel of the 16th Sunday of the Year